Friday, June 12, 2020

Zambia Nine Patch

This quilt is bright! I bought a lot of fabric when I lived in Zambia in 1994 and this is pretty much the last of it. I used solid fabrics in the blocks with the traditional African prints in hopes of balancing the colors and breaking up some of the large patterns. 


I machine pieced the top and then got completely carried away with the quilting. It is sewn by hand with #8 Perle cotton in a very dense design. I started by stitching circles and squares of lines 1/4 to 3/8" apart then added diamonds, rectangles and triangles. I used many different colors of thread. When I tired of all of the shapes, I filled in the rest of the top with Xs. When it was done, it just seemed like too, too much and I quickly gave the quilt to my friend, Maureen, who loves color. I recently borrowed it back because I had failed to take any pictures and now I have more photos than I need!

The quilt is 51" x 61" - it was completed in March 2018. 









scrappy binding


No comments: