Sunday, June 07, 2020

First Vintage eBay Quilt

There was a time long ago when my friend, Dianne, was buying quilt tops from eBay. More recently, she was cleaning out her craft studio and brought 7 of these vintage tops to our stitching group to see if anyone wanted them. I took two. 

This one was hand pieced from a great variety of fabrics - most were cotton but there were pieces of polyester and other types as well. Old bedsheets were used for the background. I have no idea how to date a quilt but this one was dusty and stained and just felt like it had been waiting for decades sitting on a shelf. 

We have no way of knowing who made it. Dianne doesn't remember the origin story, if there was one, so I like to imagine some mysterious quilt sister from the past who was unable to finish her project. I was happy to do it for her and get this quilt out into the world.

The quilt measures 76" x 84". I used 108" wide fabric for the back and made a scrappy bias binding. I had to machine stitch the background hexagons because I couldn't comfortably hand stitch through the tight weave of the old sheets. The rest of the quilting was done by hand with #8 Perle cotton. It sure looked better after it was washed. 









1 comment:

Bluestocking said...

I love the colors of this one -- they're often strong in themselves, and yet together the effect is rather gentle.

I want to try hand-quilting next time. I have such an awful time wrestling quilts into the sewing-machine! Do you have a frame or use a hoop?