Sunday, June 14, 2020

Stretched Hexagon Baby Quilt Top

When I was finished with the Rainbow Fade quilt, I had a bunch of leftover 3" x 4" rectangles. I drew up a stretched hexagon shape like I had seen used on a project by Red Pepper Quilts and cut out some papers for English paper piecing. I have done this sort of stitching before, but for some reason, I really had to fight the paper this time. I used light and heavy paper, tried glue basting and thread basting and used all kinds of threads and needles. I never really found my groove. 

My intention was to make a full size quilt, maybe 66" x 82". Oddly specific, you say. I first sewed the pieces into 12 patch blocks, measured one, then calculated how many blocks I would need to make for the size I wanted. It didn't take long before I moved the goalpost to 58" x 75" then to 58" x 68". After three weeks of making lozenges, forming blocks and sewing them all together, I turned it into a baby quilt. I was done. I added a scrappy border to frame it and to make it bigger and called it a completed top. Once I find the right backing and binding, I think I will enjoy quilting this. For now, I'm glad the top is finished. 



43" x 49"


No comments: