Sunday, December 11, 2011

Sampler Quilt Finished


One thing led to another with this quilt. It started with an urge to try a new technique - paper piecing - and grew into a lap sized quilt.  I sashed the twelve blocks with Kona Snow and used scrappy cornerstones to break up the white.  Soft flannel backing and cheerful striped binding finish it off.  


The machine quilting was done on my home sewing machine.  I wanted dense quilting because of all the small chunks of fabric and quarter inch seams.  In some places, eight seams come together so the quilting was needed for strength. The Free Motion Quilting Project, is a blog that is a great resource for different quilting patterns.  I used one called Spiral Knots. My finished product wouldn't do well in a judged quilt show but it will definitely hold the three layers together for a good long time. I will get better with practice.


Below are a couple of blooper shots from piecing the blocks. One can sew merrily along for quite awhile before even noticing that something is way off.



Finished size: 43" x 57"
Backing:  Erin McMorris Greenhouse Flannel
Binding: Ready Set Snow Candy Stripes

1 comment:

Bobbi said...

Saw this on flickr... Looks great. And I have to say, I actually really like your last mess-up. :)