Saturday, October 18, 2014

Bijou Sunprint Quilt


About a year ago, I contacted Holly DeGroot and got her permission to use one of her designs after I saw this quilt that she had made. I had some of the same fabrics that she had used (Sunprint) and some of the Collage fabric pictured above. I figured out the pattern based on her photographs. The triangles are paper pieced and I tried to make the blocks as big as possible using the fat quarters I had to work with. 


I was inspired at the time so I sewed up the blocks pretty quickly. They sat untrimmed and neglected for a good many months until I finally resolved to finish what I started.

I think the pictures tell the story so I will omit the narration of borders, backing binding, etc. For the quilting, I did some funky FMQ by machine on the main part and some hand stitching with Perle cotton on the borders. The finished size is 68" x 83", before washing. It's the size I usually make as it fits well on the floor of my studio and isn't too big to wrestle with.












No comments: