Sunday, June 09, 2013

St. Louis 16 Patch Quilt - Finished

This quilt has been done for a couple of weeks. I really like the front and the back and I am happy with the quilting but I don't think the binding is exactly the right finishing touch. I am trying to pay more attention to choosing the perfect fabrics for backgrounds and borders, etc. and not just use what I have in my drawer. I wanted to lean toward a light green shade for the binding and set out to find a lime and cream stripe. Nothing seemed right online and my LQS had a plaid that seemed like a great substitute. It wasn't until I had it sewn on that I realized it was not quite what I wanted. Oh, well - the back looks great!

Here is the link to the tutorial - it is an easy block and will work for so many different fabrics. I used a FQ bundle of Bike Path from Westwood Acres combined with low volume prints as I like a lot of contrast. The back is several prints from the Comma line.

The quilting is a loopy meander. It took me a few days to settle on what pattern seemed best for the quilt and what I felt like tackling. Free motion quilting is still a bit of a wrestling match for me; I sew away and feel rather out of control and don't like how it is turning out and then I walk away. It always looks better when I return and take another look. It's totally fine and will look even better after it has been washed and it shrinks up a bit. I'm sure my quilting will improve with practice.

Finished size 55" x 68"

No comments: