Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Bee Blocks

Our hostess for Cheer circle of do. Good Stitches this month is Amber. She asked for two spiderweb blocks out of red, turquoise and gray fabric scraps. For our assignment, she referred us to this tutorial, which was quite easy to follow.

The blocks were quick to sew together though cutting the strips took some time. I guess some folks save their "strings" for such projects but I didn't have any around. It is great to try making some blocks in small numbers like this because it gives me an idea of whether I might want to make an entire quilt out of a particular design. This spiderweb is a good example of a block that is perfect for a group project, because it will look so pretty with a big mix of scraps - and each person only makes one or two. This also seems like a nice choice for a child's quilt - high contrast and happy colors. 



I failed to post my August bee block to the blog a couple of months ago. It was requested by Tamiko of Patchwork Notes. The tutorial we used for this block, a Sawtooth Star with 16 Patch Center, is here. I only made the one block; it was hard for me to find fabrics in these colors that looked good together.


No comments: