Tuesday, May 22, 2012

My Other Project


It was back in February when I cut into this pile of fabric and I have been dinking away on it off and on since then. I had two fat quarter bundles - one called Prince Charming Indigo by Tula Pink and the other Portobello by Alice Kennedy. I also had a Prince Charming charm pack and some additional yardage of a couple of the coral fabrics.

I was inspired by a Kaffe Fassett quilt, Light in the Forest, in his book, Quilts in Sweden. It is hard to say I followed the pattern, though, because I changed the block size, the fabric, the layout and the borders. It is a traditional concept, like most quilts, based on a "magic number". The finished blocks are 2.5", 5" and 10" so it is easy to rearrange and interlock the squares. I wanted some blocks that were big enough to show off some of these large scale prints.

I ordered some extra wide fabric for backing - no piecing this time! I'm trying something new and easy. Deciding on colors is always a bit of a crap shoot online but here's hoping it is a good match or at least, good enough. I haven't decided on quilting it yet - I will get the layers together and then decide. This one has been a project that has progressed one step at a time all the way through.

No comments: