Sunday, December 04, 2011

Windows Quilt


This quilt was inspired by a pattern for a sewing machine cover in the book, Fresh Quilting by Malka Dubrawsky. I liked the way the simplicity of the block seemed to give the quilt some movement, some vibrancy and that the blocks were big enough to highlight the fabrics.  When I came upon these ethnic appearing fabrics, most by Marcia Derse, at the downtown fabric store, I knew the combination would work well.  


I am happy with the quilt and sent it off to my sister as a gift.  I warned her to wash it in cold water and to use a Shout color catcher for the first laundering as I am a little worried that the red will run.  

It is hand stitched with embroidery floss inside each colored block.  I was planning to stitch a line or two along the neutral sashing but the quilt sat there for a bit while I considered whether or not it was needed and I eventually decided against it. The binding fabric is the feature fabric of the line and it didn't seem to work as one of the blocks but does well on the edges, I think.

 
The back was made with available materials.  Somehow, using what I had was the most important criteria while fashioning the backing.  It's okay - I don't love it but it isn't awful.

 
The finished size is 52" x 68.5".

No comments: