Monday, April 01, 2013

April 2013 Bee Blocks


The quilters in our bee are getting their assignments out early! These blocks were quick and easy for me as I have recently finished a quilt top using a variation on this tutorial, the Granny Square Block by Blue Elephant Stitches. The tutorial inspired a LOT of quilts since it was posted last year and the author, Jolene, has written another one that uses a strip pieced method to the same end. 

I also used a different method for cutting and sewing the background fabrics, which is nicely described here. Our quilter asked us to use bright, gender neutral colors as the finished quilt will be donated to a child via Project Linus. I was lucky to have a pretty good selection of 2.5" squares already cut. It is a practical size to use when chopping up leftover scraps of fabric.

The quilter will trim up the blocks and finish the quilt. Once these are in the mail, my part is done.

1 comment:

Claire Jain said...

These turned out so great! I can't wait to make mine, as I haven't tried a granny square yet and have been dying to give it a go. I'm also flipping out over the beautiful rose star quilt in your header. It gives me hope of finishing mine this year!