Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Rose Star Quilt


The Rose Star quilt is finished. I started it in February, as a long term project, thinking I could just poke away at it over the years while I had other stuff going in the foreground. But, at heart, I am a one-project-at-a-time person, so I made block after block until it seemed I had enough and then forged ahead with the background piecing. The total number of Rose Stars was 32 whole blocks and 6 half blocks. I didn't count up the background pieces. 

English Paper Pieced using ladder stitch

Machine quilted with golden yellow thread

Hand quilting with No. 8 Perle cotton, various colors

The finished size of the quilt is 57" x 68", which is simply how big it became.  I did put a two print border on it, which it seemed to want, sewing it on by hand to avoid losing any of the pattern to a seam allowance.

Binding and borders
The backing is a single print - Alexander Henry Folklorico Fiesta Fireworks - which I found at a local fabric store. 

Backing with binding
I didn't set out to make a clown bright quilt but it sure turned out that way. I'm glad it is done and I'm pretty happy with the result. It was never really difficult to let it sit for awhile but it did teach me that I should probably keep these hand work projects a bit smaller in scope. I do like to get them finished up. 


5 comments:

Catherine said...

Oh wow, this looks stunning. I have made a grand total of 4 rose stars so far!

Jessica said...

I really like the black and white print you put between the rose stars. The whole quilt turned out beautifully.

Elly D said...

Your Rose Star quilt looks beautiful! The backing fabric suits the front perfectly. Love it :)

Lesly said...

Gorgeous! Everything about this is an inspiration!

Frederick said...

Amazing, it all fits together so well, your good taste is showing all over it. I like the "clown" colors and I know anyone feeling a little chilly and blue would be feeling much better to have it on their lap!