This hat was slated for destruction. I was rummaging around, looking for a knitting project or two for the road trip to Reno, when I found this mostly finished hat. I remember getting near the top and deciding that I was going to run out of yarn before it was done so I cast it aside intending to rip it out. Instead, I picked it up again and started decreasing from where I left off. It worked out just fine.
The pattern is here. It is called the Star Crossed Slouchy Beret.
Yippee, I had another finished project but nothing to knit in the car. After more scrabbling around, I found a pattern for mittens and some leftover yarn. These are Ambroso mittens. They turned out a little small but made a nice gift for a friend with small hands.