Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Shrug

Shrugs are pretty specialized garments and I sure don't have much use for one. But wanting to make something is different than wanting to have something. I saw a picture of a six year old ballerina on Bluestocking and a vision of my niece popped into my head. Why, we have a six year old ballerina in our family!

I was playing around with beaded knitting at the time so I changed a lot about the pattern used in the photo I saw. I read the pattern then made up my own, using a sleeve stitch adapted from Odessa and an edging from a scarf by Annie Modesitt in Scarf Style. The edging doesn't show and I think the shrug barely fit Luna but it was fun to make and it will get passed on to another little darling some day. That is good enough for me.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! And it looks so adorable on her! What a wonderful idea.

mathomhouse said...

I'll say again, how fascinating the evolution of a pattern can be. You took my mom's version of the IK shrug -- already adapted -- and blended it with Odessa's wonderfully sinuous lines to make something all your own!